- Associates in Behavioral Health - a multi- disciplinary group of private practitioners providing competent mental health care to the diverse needs of the Seattle community.
Several researchers and clinicians have been influential in the development of important behavioral therapeutic approaches. Those specifically associated with behavioral activation are:
- Michael Addis, Ph.D. - An expert in behavioral activation and other behavior therapies.
- Derek Hopko, Ph.D. - does research on brief behavioral activation treatment for a variety of client problems.
- Jonathan Kanter, Ph.D. - Dr. Kanter (Univ. Wisc. - Milwaukee) studies FAP and is developing the Behavioral Activation Scale, a measure of client activation, with Dr. Patrick Mulick (Gonzaga Univ.) and Christopher Martell.
- Sona Dimidjian - is in the department of psychology and neuroscience at the University of Colorado - Boulder. She is the first author of the published results from a major clinical trial of behavioral activation conducted at the University of Washington. Dr. Dimidjian has collaborated with Christopher Martell on several projects pertaining to BA.
Others have developed behavioral treatments with an emphasis on acceptance and the therapeutic relationship:
- Robert Kohlenberg, Ph.D. - Dr. Kohlenberg and Dr. Mavis Tsai developed Functional Analytic Psychotherapy (FAP), a behavioral intervention that locates important behavior change within the context of the therapeutic relationship.
- Andrew Christensen, Ph.D. - Dr. Christensen and the late Neil S. Jacobson developed Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy.
For general information about behavioral or cognitive behavioral therapies and a listing of treatment providers nationwide:
- Association of Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies (ABCT) - for information about behavioral and cognitive-behavioral therapies.
The application of affirmative psychotherapeutic treatments with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients has evolved over the past thirty years since the removal of homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association. Several current scholars in this area are:
- Doug Haldeman, Ph.D. - An expert in LGBT-affirmative therapy.
- Laura S. Brown, Ph.D., ABPP - An expert in feminist therapy and psychotherapeutic intervention in lesbian communities.
For general information about psychological approaches to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender populations:
- Division 44 website - Division 44 is APA's Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues.